Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

can't go any lower than this

11/6/2011
For the last few days I’ve been debating on whether or not to post this next topic on my blog because it’s very embarrassing. I figured that I want this blog to detail my true experience in Burkina so like it or not here goes.

Everybody knows that when you go to a new country with different and exciting new foods there is chance that your body may not react well. When we first arrived in country we had diarrhea-parasite-amoeba-etc training. It was a matter of when you get sick, not if. A lot of the stagiaires accepted the fact that they might get sick during there stay. But I refused to accept this reality. I figured that if I keep filtering my water, soaking my raw fruits and veggies in bleach water or cook them, continue to not eat foods from random venders, and stay vegan I will be safe. 
FAIL.

I didn’t realize how much I would miss raw yummy vegetables. I don’t know if this is the reason for my ailment but I gave in and ate a salad at a restaurant. I know that they rinsed the veggies in unfiltered water but I did not care. I’ve had this salad 3 more times since then  A few days ago my stomach started making weird noises. One morning I woke up and realized oh my goodness I have to go to the bathroom! I rushed around my room looking for toilette paper. I reach for the doorknob and before I could get the door open…it happens. Right there. After much cleaning and laughing at myself I realize that I am now officially a Peace Corps trainee. I also realized that life is A LOT harder when you have to hand wash everything.

Of course I kept this a secret from my homestay family. I don’t think that they would appreciate me having a bowel movement in their house. I’m sure Alice found it weird that I was washing random articles of my clothing in the middle of the week (we usually wash clothes on the weekend). Dialogue with my hs mother:

Alice: Jalysa you washed your mat this morning?

Me: Uhh yeah, it was dirty.

Alice: You’re washing your clothes right now?

Me: Uhh yeah, they need to be washed.

Alice: (skeptical) okay?

Me: (nervously smiles) Alright.

Mind you this whole conversation was all in French. Hahaha
This is going to be a funny 2 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment