Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

I am officially bougie

11/13/11

Today I finally received my first wedding proposal. Sheesh took them long enough. I get invited to a bar with my home stay parents. My HS mother’s brothers are there. When I go over to the table I greet everyone with the normal handshake salutation. The brother then grabs my face and begins kissing my cheeks 4 times (This is a normal greeting here, but mainly for people who know each other). He then tries to kiss me on the lips! This is when I pull away. Everybody at the table starts laughing. The brothers know very little English and their lack of sobriety doesn’t help. One of them tells me that they have a cousin in NY and when I go home I should visit him. The brother lives in Ouaga and he invites me to come spend the weekend with him in his bachelor pad. He then goes on to tell me that I should stay in Burkina and marry him. His marriage proposal is in broken, drunk franglish, but from what I understood he offered me 10 chickens for my hand in marriage. 10 chickens, are you kidding me?! Me and some other PCTs received 2 chickens just for visiting the chief de terre, and this guy is offering only 10? I think I'm offended.  I'm going to hold out for a better offer.  I should worth at least some goats or maybe even a few head of cattle.
I think that it would be very easy to find a husband or wife here.


My hs fam's lovely house girl, Afou will be leaving Ouaga for an undisclosed period of time. So my HS 'rents got another house girl. 
I didn’t know how good I had it until Marceline came along. She talks back to my 'rents, she's not very clean, she isn’t as good of a cook, and she does not understand personal space. 
I decided to wash my hair today. As I begin to twist my hair Marceline(who has a cold) comes over and starts asking me a million questions in French while touching my hair with her germy, sickly hands. She is so close to me that her stomach in literally touching my arm. (I’m sitting down) She then takes the mirror that I am using and starts popping pimples on her face. She is still holding my mirror and standing over me. At this point I am beyond skeeved so I scoot my chair over. She finally gets the hint and pops her pimples elsewhere. 
You just can't get good help these days.
Afou, wherever you are, if you can read this please come back!
Afou holding a plate of spaghetti 


Oh, and I got the results of my last language test, I am now inter low!!  I need to be at inter mid to go to site, almost there.

3 comments:

  1. this is my favorite blog entry ever in LIFE!! LOL i'm so glad you found someone who can annoy you more than I can. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. you should have told that dude you're already married!!! hellooooo. some people go to africa and forget who's waiting for them at home lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha ewww popping pimples! that pic of afou is cute! i laughed out loud reading this!

    ReplyDelete