Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy halloween!!!

10/31/2011
So today Halloween! Me and the other trainees are going to go to one of the 2 restaurants in Sapone and have a Halloween party.
This past weekend was very interesting. Another trainee ETed (early terminated) on Friday. That’s the third one thus far. Our group is starting to make a bad name for ourselves.
 Other than that the weekend was pretty fun. Me and some of the other trainees had a night full of dancing, beer and American music. The bar owner let us plug in one of our ipods to the system and we turned that place out! Just when I thought the night couldn’t get any more interesting we bar hopped to the other bar (Belle Vie) and turned that place out too. Just imagine, 7 intoxicated foreigners dancing in the middle of the dance floor alone. I’m sure it was a weird site to see. For all of you wondering, there are some cuties in my stage (group). I think I’ll just leave it at that lol.

The next morning (10/30/11) we caught the tail end of the tour de Burkina. The good thing about being a foreigner here is that we get special treatment. So when the other Burkinabes had to stand behind the line I got to go meet the cyclists. I took a picture with the Ghanaian and French team.
some of the ghanaian cyclists

Positives about Burkina:
  • ·      We are like mini celebrities
  • ·      Burkinabes are VERY friendly
  • ·      My homestay familiy is great!
  • ·      The weather isn’t too bad (so far)
  • ·      Burkina business casual is American Casual
  • ·      No internet CafĂ© in Sapone!
  • ·      New friends!

Negatives about Burkina:
  • ·      We are like mini celebrities
  • ·      My French sucks
  • ·      They think that we all are rich so they try to overcharge us
  • ·      Time goes by very slowly (which could be a +)
  • ·      My fam and friends are not here.
  • ·      Cold drinks are hard to come by
  • ·      We can’t drink the tap water
  • Malaria meds are annoying to take every week
I washed my clothes by hand for the first time this weekend. Its such a long process. I had to fetch my own water (and when I say I, I mean Afou the house girl). Then I got multiple buckets for the soak, wash, and rinse cycle. All of that hard work for semi clean clothes! I will hire someone to wash my clothes from here on out.
Creatures that can be found in my room:
  • ·      Lizards/geckos
  • ·      A roach or two
  • ·      Crickets
  • ·      Spiders

I’ve actually been woken up by a cricket jumping on me while I lie inside of my mosquito net. I probably won’t be afraid of anything by the time I come back. That roaches still creep me out a lot.
Oh yea I almost forgot. My homestay dad bought me a puppy today! His name is neuf, which means nine in French. He will be my last numbered dog I swear!!
yes, we are dancing in our helmets. safety first

Tonight was unreal! We went to Triangle D’or and had a Halloween extravaganza! We invited the French tutors to come too! Most of the trainees brought their little host brothers or sisters and we handed out candy to all of them. Some people dressed up as pretty cool things. I just wore my Rocky Horror Picture show shirt. Even though this wasn’t a standard Halloween, I had a good time sharing it with the Burkinabe and the trainees. Its funny because I know that I like to dance but sheesh, talk about a dancing machine! I also am glad that today ended as it did because it started off a little rocky. It seems that most of my bad days end well. My emotional roller coaster is very short in terms of mad moods.
sapone nights, every saturday

Well the donkeys are calling so I better get to sleep. Oh yea, I wake up with the roosters every morning. They do not cock-a-doodle-doo once a day. Its an all day annoying thing. Now I don’t feel so bad for Chanticleer.

Ps today a lot of ppl got mail, so I go and see if I got mail too. And of course I was the loser that didn’t get any. So send me letters please!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. I hope you aren't out there acting like the cast from Jersey Shore...we already have enough bad press!!! HAHA....Sounds like you are really enjoying yourself...is there any 'work' going on??? Tell me more about the hotties...lol

    We miss you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! are ther hotties??? what kinda puppy did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ja!!!! Glad to hear everything is going so well out there for you!!! Hang in there and don't ETed so we can come visit you before you come back to NJ!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Leigh: lol I am def not acting like the jersey shore cast! And yes there is A LOT of work going on. From 8am-5pm I'm in class or learning something. Then after that I am studying.

    There are hotties and that's all I'm going saying!

    anon: I got a mutt puppy. lol most of the dogs here look that same, and that's that kind that I got. He acts different that the domesticated dogs so I'm excited to explore those differences and see what I can teach him.

    Hey Rosario, There is not chance of me ETing. I cannot wait for you guys to come out here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. JJ!!

    It sounds like you're having a great experience!

    So glad that you got a good family. Another Nine? That is so sweet of your HS dad to get you a puppy. I'm sure he will be a loyal companion. :) He's going to be one smart bilingual puppy!

    I am really intrigued by Afou and her role in the family. Have you found that other families seem to favor the boy child? Do they both go to school?

    PLEASE give more details about these hotties soon! In the grand scheme of things its extremely inconsequential but hearing this excited me!! haha

    Can't wait to see pictures. I'm having a hard time imagining what everything looks like!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ti!!!

    I have a 7 and 8 dog but he is the only 9 I have so far. He is a really great companion but I have to train him well. he is in his teething stage and he nibbles everyone.

    Most families here favor their sons. A lot of the time they only pay for their sons to go to school. Farid is almost 2 so he isnt in school yet. Afou is 13 and shes not in school. She cant read or write! She isnt my host families child though. He mother lives in another town.

    Sorry about the whole lack of pictures thing. internet here sucks and it takes forever. I will try to get some up asap!

    I miss you too!! How are things going over there?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really interesting but unfortunate about Afou. Maybe you can start to teach her how to write/read?

    My life is by far not as exciting/adventurous as yours... Working crazy hours and indifferent about corp america...

    ReplyDelete