Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

My first real day

10/15/11
Today (my first real day) I went to stage (training) and I had a lot of fun. We had culture/peace corps training and we rode our bicycles all around the city. I was feeling dizzy for most of today so they told me to drink this sodium potassium mixture to restore my electrolytes. When I rode my bike home I pulled out a notebook, pen, and French/English dictionary on my ipod. I sat down with Alice (my HS mom) and we communicated en francais. It was great! I feel like I can learn fast here. We understand each other a lot better now. She is a banker and he is a nurse.
When Isaka (my HS dad) came home they were going to try to make me eat dinner alone but I told them that I wanted to eat as a family…so we did! This is the family dynamic: I have a mom and dad and a little 2year old brother named Farid ( he is super spoiled. They also have a little girl who is basically their servant. I feel bad for her sometimes. She does everything. I tutor my little neighbor boy, Papi (steve) in French. I hope that he improves a little in school with my help.
After dinner we all went walking around in the dark and we ended up at a restaurant. We sat under the stars and drank Brakina (tasty beer). I am so happy that I actually got to sit down and speak to my family. They are very patience with me.
Sidenote: while we were drinking our beer this fou (crazy person) came up to us asking for money and such. He was singling me out because I guess he knew that I am a nassara (foreigner). Isaka stepped in and defended me hardcore. Yay!

3 comments:

  1. Yayayaya! You didn't tell me to look at your blog. You're going to be so fluent in French! Perfect! Sounds like you're having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are liking your homestay family! I wanna hear more about the servant girl, ya know when you find out more....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sandra, I could hqve sworn that I did tell you! And yes I will be close to fluent by the end of these 2 years. Its hard though!

    Pebbles, Afou (the servant girl) was pretty great. Shes gone for a while and we have a temp replacement. I miss Afou so much. I`ll post another entry about her soon.

    ReplyDelete