Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

where to begin?

I already had a pre-written post for my first in country update but of course I do not have my flash drive to laptop with me.

So here we go

I arrived in Ouaga with 24 other volunteers. We stayed at this weird missionary/youth hostel/summer camp place for days and days of orientation, vaccines, and ice breakers. I took my language placement interview and realized that my french SUCKS. I tested into novice mid (novice low-mid-high, inter low-mid-high etc) A trainee must be inter-mid in order go to actual site.

After this me and the other volunteers traveled to Sapone where we were adopted by out host families. They held a little ceremony full of heavy dancing and strong armpit aroma. Deodorant is def optional in this country. My home stay family is great, they cook me vegan food. I have a mother Alice, father Issaka, and a little 2yr old brother Farid. My family is very educated in comparison to the other families. Issaka is a nurse and Alice works at a bank. They probably think that I'm an idiot because like I said before, my french sucks. Most of the other families don't have electricity but my family has a tv and a fridge! Lucky me.

A normal day here in Sapone for me is class from 8am-5:15pm. Classes usually consist of french, cultural session, and government protocol stuff. My french is slowly improving. I cannot wait to get better!! After class I go home and chill out with the fam and do hpmewprk. I also hang out with the other trainees. For the most part they all are pretty cool!

This past weekend they split us up into groups and we visited an actual PCVs(Peace Corp Volunteer) site. My group went to Nakaba to stay with Doug. Doug took us around his village. We met the Chief de Terre and his many sons. They both gave us chickens as welcome gifts. One of the other trainees, Gerard, slaughtered the chicken and we cooked it for dinner. I actually saw a chicken being killed. It was intense. They have this home made brew of fermented millet called dolo (sp?). Usually people sit in the shade and pass around calabashes of dolo. So we of course went dolo bar hopping. It was pretty fun.

I am back from Nakaba right now in Ouaga waiting for the bus to go back to Sapone to stay with my host family. It is going to be hard to keep this thing undated. There are a lot of people behind me right now waiting for the computer so I can't type too much.

I miss you all and I hope all is well.

7 comments:

  1. I cant believe you witnessed the slaughter of a chicken...did you want to puke? lol. It sounds like you are doing great out there, I cant wait for your fluent french lol. Is it me or is it random that a native's name is Doug? How do you like the cultural session and gov protocol, It sounds interesting. Anyway I miss you and hope things just keep getting better. Love you baby sass <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. tv AND a fridge.... you are lucky..

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Deodorant is def optional in this country."
    hahah the feisty-ness never ends!! everything sounds pretty excellent and ultimate thus far. Just curious, is "dolo" pronounced the way kid cudi says it?? I wonder if that was what he was referring to... Anywaysss.. keep up the good work! <333

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I am happy your French is improving....but what's going on with your English? LOL....thanks for keeping us up to date...this is def going to be interesting read!!! (If I didnt know any better I would have thought your mom wrote this! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. **EDIT
    Jenai: They do pronounce dolo the same way as kid cudi but I'm sure that I'm not spelling this dolo correctly.

    Pebs: Yes, yes I am VERY lucky

    Nieci: The slaughter was pretty intense, but I've seen worst on the PETA websites. Doug is an american pc volunteer not a native. A lot of the sessions are kinda boring but I figured it has to be said. Some of it is interesting though. I love and miss you too sassafras!!!

    Aunt Leigh: I probably will not know how to speak english when I return in 2 years lol. I rushed and typed this entry that is why it is sooooo horribly written. I will try to clean up my entries from here on out. I miss you!

    -Jalysa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss you too Jaja...Love reading your posts...keep them coming...did I miss your address?? Send it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my address is on my blog, in the mailing info tab at the top!!

    ReplyDelete