Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

random things about my site

Although I’m having a rough time at site, there are moments that are pretty magical. The sense of community here is outstanding. A lot of the people don’t have much but they still find ways to share with their friends and family. While I was sick these past few weeks the CSPS staff (whether I wanted them to or not) visited me throughout the day. The whole village knows that I’m sick too. I’ll walk up to someone that I barely know and they will say, “ Hey Jalysa, how is the diarrhea going?”, embarrassing yes, but definitely thoughtful.

I said before that my site is mostly Muslim but I actually found some Catholics the other day while taking Neuf for a walk!! I say that with exclamation points because that means DOLO!!!! Dolo is a drink made of fermented millet. It’s a very social alcoholic beverage; less alcohol content than beer. People usually sit down in circles and pass a calabash (bowl) filled with dolo around. It looks like one of those bowls Rafeki from the lion king mixed his magical herbs in. I really like the taste of dolo. It’s a bit zingy at the start with a nutty finish. Definitely an acquired taste.
lionking.org (I reference lion king way too much)

Sometimes I go to the pump and just watch people fill up their basins. I can’t communicate with them so I either say random things in Moore to them or they yell things at me and laugh. The other day I was at the pump with Neuf. Neuf was standing near some donkeys and he may or may not have been bothering them. The next thing I know, this big pregnant donkey is chasing my dog, trying to stomp him. I’ve never seen a pregnant animal move so quickly! Luckily Neuf was faster. After that he comes over and stands near me for protection. He slowly begins to wander away again and this little boy goes up to him, picks him up by his back leg and starts shaking him! Neuf is yelping at this point and I go over to the kid and yell at him in French. I think I said something like “No, that  is my dog, let go!” At least that’s what I wanted to say. The little boy lets go. It’s so weird here. Some of the kids are very mean to animals. I had to make Neuf a collar just so people would know that he belongs to me and not to abuse him. I’ve seen little kids try to stomp chickens and smack dogs and donkeys around. I wonder why they are so mean to their animals here. 

I just cannot wait to find all the gems in my site and make this place my home. I think building relationships with people here is going to be very rewarding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment