Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

life thus far



You should know that I have officially signed the next two years of my life over to the US Peace Corps. My swear in was on the 15th of December and I left for my site on the 16th.
Marina me and Hilary 


the health (Sante) sector group 25


 So far its been very difficult. I have some problems with some of the people in my village. Also I did not get the warmest welcome. I have to admit that I cried for the first time since I’ve been in country on my second day at site. Although the tears have stopped, I find myself thinking about when I told my Uncle Greg about my intentions to join the Peace Corps. He just looks at me and says “Why?”. Well Uncle Greg I question those reasons that I gave you everyday lol. But other that the initial shock, things are getting better now. It’s happening very slowly though.

Right now, and for the next 3-6 months, I’ll be getting to know my community, and learning how to live alone in Burkina. Visiting people, the schools, the big cheeses of the village.

My house has two rooms, no running water or electricity, outside douche and latrine, and a little courtyard made of cement. It also comes equipped with people sitting outside of my bedroom window talking all day and night.

my bed/bug hut/ cot
My village is also mostly Muslim, which is great, besides the lack of alcohol consumption. During stage we went out for beers at least once a week and now I haven’t had an ounce of spirits at my site. It should be interesting. I also don’t want to offend anyone by drinking beer so I’ll have to feel things out before I do something that could jeopardize my position in community.
There is a lot that I could say in this post but I find myself trying to be politically correct and holding my tongue. So instead I’ll post a bunch of pictures. Yay!

Neuf (he's almost a dog grown) I hope you got the game of thrones reference

Ps I’m at the transit house right now (where volunteers stay when away from site) and I just watched lion king again. It was absolutely magical. I don’t know if it because I’ve been away from the glitz of American culture or because I’m in Africa right now but that movie seemed way better than before!

Oh yeah I also think that I forgot my book with all of your addresses written down. Can you email your addresses…or just send me a letter and I’ll write you one back. =]


No comments:

Post a Comment