Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

the simple life?


2/9/2012
Its crazy how much I miss my “old life”, whatever that was. I keep telling myself how I miss my old simple life. Its funny that I say simple because life here is really simple in some ways but the simplicities make things feel a lot more complicated. Life in America seemed simple because of all of the technologies but the simpler we try to make things, the more complex they get. I guess life anywhere can be easier and harder in different ways. It reminds me of this quote from the gods must be crazy.

“Only 600 miles to the south, there's a vast city. And here you find civilized man. Civilized man refused to adapt himself to his environment; instead, he adapted his environment to suit him. So he built cities, roads, vehicles, machinery, and he put up power lines to run his labour-saving devices. But somehow he didn't know where to stop. The more he improved his surroundings to make life easier, the more complicated he made it. So now his children are sentenced to 10-15 years of school, just to learn how to survive in this complex and hazardous habitat they were born into. And civilized man, who refused to adapt to his surroundings, now finds he has to adapt and re-adapt every hour of the day to his self-created environment.” (the gods must be crazy)

What I’m trying to say in this silly rant is that I am surprised that life here seems so simple but in reality it is so complex. I guess its just ignorant to think that smaller underdeveloped countries are too "3rd world" to face the day to day problems that  average Americans face.

1 comment:

  1. Simple life...nah..i am impressed with you girl...b/c here in the states is the simple life...!!

    ReplyDelete