Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

taxi brusse

 Just imagine a chester molester white van that hasn't passed inspection in 27 years, 18 people piled in (some on the roof) not including the animals, no AC, plus a country that doesn't use deodorant. You have just imagined a taxi brusse (bust taxi). Me and my fellow stagiares have the pleasure of riding in these vehicles to and from our sites. I was honestly amazed to see how they keep these things running. They literally had to push start the car. This particular taxi did not have a set ceiling, so whenever when went over a bump I had to guard my head to avoid getting cut by a rusty piece of metal.


barb, gerard, ryan (he ETed), and marci enjoying the forbidden backseat of the taxi brusse

me smushed in the brusse with amy

barb admiring this guys ashy ankles as he sits on the roof of the moving taxi brusse

My second experience in a taxi brusse was worse than the first despite the fact that it was more luxurious. I was slightly hung over, stuffed in between what seemed like a million other Burkinabe. I'm sitting by the window in this super hot vehicle when I realize that I am nauseous. I start to tell them to pull over when I realize omg I'm in Africa and they speak french. Its hard to think of the french phrase for "pull this GD thing over, I'm about to hurl" when on the verge of death. Luckily my fellow trainees got the point across and they pull the taxi over. After the door opens and we all spill out of the van I sit on the side of the road. The driver then proceeds to tell my friends to give me a bag to throw up in so we can continue our journey. Mind you, Burkinabes are not known for their promptness so why did this guy pick this very moment to hurry me up. Because my french sucks I could not argue so I took the bag and road the rest of the way in silence. 

I've only ridden in a taxi brush 2x so hopefully the next time around will go more smoothly.

disclaimer: not all taxi brusses are this tore up. Some are really nice, but a lot of them are pretty shabby.

5 comments:

  1. That is so funny! Omg that guys ankles were really ashy lol. KIT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 2nd taxi ride sounds awful. I bet you carry a bag with you everywhere now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok round two, I'll try this again.
    Hey my girl! Now maybe you'll appreciate the way you and my girls grew up. Not to diminish what you went through, had to be awful. Reminds me of the time I rode on the local bus (van) with Don in Jamaica. I was sandwiched in the front seat with the driver and 3 other passengers. Don was squished in the back, don't know how they shut the hatch! Can't tell you how many people were on board...They were all speaking in their tongue and laughing, probably about me. I was the only white person in sight, (felt like a light bulb!) lol Plus there's no speed limit and no traffic signals AND they drive on the other side of the road, all I could do was pray and grin like a yahoo!At least I wasn't hung over, but I was pretty toasted at the time :)
    I'm proud of you sweetie. You'll come back a better person after this experience, I promise! Ms Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in Egypt the thing that was hardest for me to take was the stench. I knew that manypeople didn't have easy access to running water, and I knew that many were too poor to afford even soap - but my western tummy took it hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey ti!! i have grown pretty used to taxi brusses. they are the least of my troubles now!

    hey mrs jan! how are you? that is a crazy story!

    The smell doesnt bother me much anymore. just the amount of ppl they try to squeeze in those things. in that picture its not even loaded to the max.

    ReplyDelete